Monday 25 July 2011

intro intro!

Nothing more strongly arouses our disgust than cannibalism, yet we make the same impression on Buddhists and vegetarians, for we feed on babies, though not our own. ~Robert Louis Stevenson

How many years have I been a vegetarian? It has been 4 years.I have never looked back since. The benefits are undeniable, be it for the environment, personal health , or ethical benefits.


I love animals, and strongly believe we should give them the respect they deserve. I really do not  believe in eating anything with five senses. To me consuming anything with eyes, limbs, ears and noses is just one step ahead from being a cannibal. Why must one sacrifice the lives of these poor animals to satisfy his hunger. This is simply selfish.

As a Buddhist, I strongly believe in Karma. It is a sin to kill and murder these poor animals.There's no such thing called humane killing. It is just senseless, a delusion.

Vegetarianism is gaining popularity around the world, and the food industry is recognising this as well. So inconvenience is not an excuse to not becoming a vegetarian. In this blog, I will prove this to you!

Credits to goveg.com.

6 comments:

  1. Hey there Joy,

    It is encouraging to read of someone who has such passionate beliefs for protecting animals and endorsing vegetarianism, keep it up! :)

    I have a couple of brief questions:-

    What was the factor which caused your dietary transformation 4 years ago? One particular incident or a collaboration of things?

    Are your family also meat-free?

    Lastly, being a food reviewer, I can't help but ask - What is your favourite vegetarian place in Singapore? :)

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Luke!

    Thanks for coming by!

    It was due to a couple of reasons. But what really sparked my interest to become a vegetarian was a video I watched featuring cruel slaughtering practices of farm animals for food. It was shocking and just plain cruel.

    Also, my faith as a Buddhist is another main driving force for me to be a vegetarian.
    Fortunately,yes. My family members, as a devoted Buddhist followers, are also meat-free. I am truly thankful for that.

    What about you? What made you want to be a vegetarian?

    Haha, there's no particular favourite place for me. But I do recommend Miao Yi at Corronation plaza, Vegan Burg, New Green Pasture Cafe at Bugis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy,

    Thanks for the response, and thanks for answering! :)

    I became a vegetarian when I was 11 years old. Both my parents were meat eaters. The main reason back then was animal cruelty reasons, and I guess I never thought it was 'natural' to eat meat. And as I grew older, then I also found out about health benefits and environmental reasons. And like you, I've never looked back, it has been 13 years now!

    Thanks for the recommendations, I have reviewed those restaurants in the past, and I like them all! Actually, New Green Pasture was one of the first vegetarian places I went to during my first trip to Singapore in 2007, so it holds fond memories for me!

    I am surprised and delighted that you love Indian food! Perhaps I am generalising here, but it seems the majority of Chinese Singaporeans that I know are very cautious/skeptical of it! What is your favourite kinds of Indian food? :)

    Luke
    lukeotter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Luke!

    Sorry for the late reply, I'm having trouble commenting on blogspot!
    Oh, wow. it must have been difficult convincing your family about the benefits of being a vegetarian! And sticking to your principles at such a young age is indeed praise worthy! But it is all worthwhile, i have never regretted being a vegetarian :)

    Really? But my family and I really enjoy Indian food! We would go around little India to search for veg food. I am not so sure about the names of the dishes, but i do love masala dosa at Komala!

    And looking at your blog, I am quite sure you really enjoy Indian cuisine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post.
    I agree with you totally. We should not sacrifice the lives of these poor animals. Animals are our friends, not our food.


    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Sophie,
    Well said! Animals are indeed our friends, and should be treated with respect!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is highly appreciated. Thank you! :)