Friday 30 September 2011

Herbivore Vegetarian Restaurant

Herbivore is a Western and Japanese vegetarian restaurant located at the Bugis area. This restaurant was opened by the owner of Zen vegetarian restaurant. Not too long ago, I patronised Zen, a Japanese vegetarian restaurant. The menu is highly similar to that of Herbivore, only excluding the Western cuisine. Thus, I was eager to find out which restaurant fared better in terms of quality and value of the food. But what I really like about both restaurants is that a large majority( if not all) of the mock 'meat' in all of their dishes are made by the chef himself.

I accidentally deleted the photos of the dishes from my first visit, so I am not able to include them in this post.  On my my previous visit to this restaurant, I sampled one of their Western dishes, their chicken cheese burger, which definitely left a good impression on me. But this time, I decided to try out their Japanese dishes.



The interior of this restaurant.
 

Curry Udon $12
Before, I haven't heard of a curry udon. I love curry, but it was hard to imagine what it would taste like with udon.
Suprisingly, it is a fantastic combination. The rich and flavourful curry paired well with the springy udon. This dish also comes with potatoes, mock chicken, and carrots  I love the taste of the small chunks of mock chicken, and it really made me intrigued to find out how to make them from scratch! 
8/10

 
Unagi Don set $18
This set meal comes with miso soup, radish and sea weed salad, mash potato, as well as peach pudding. A rather large portion, and hence, quite value for money.
Initially, I was eager and excited to try out this set, as the one I tried at Zen was excellent. However, much to my disappointment, the Unagi Don set meal was not quite satisfying, and not up to the standard. The sister outlet of Herbivore, Zen, undeniably serves better Unagi Don set, and of better quality.  The rice served was a litle undercooked, and the unagi( 'eel') was hard. I figured that the Unagi is made with different ingredients as it tastes distinctively different from Zen's. 
5/10 

 
Tempura Hiyashi Udon $18
Not a bad choice if you would like to satisfy your craving for something hot and soupy . .
However, this set may be a little boring for an adventurous eater. But I love the taste of the beautifully fried tempura when they are dipped into the sauce. 

 
Unagi Maki $14
Each maki has avocado,cucumber and mock meat wrapped together by an Unagi.
An awesome combination! Although I would very much prefer the Unagi from its sister's oulet.
7/10



Teriyaki chicken don set $16
I heaved a sigh of relief when this set finally arrived.
Not because of how good the food looked, but due to the fact that I had waited more than 30 minutes for this set to arrive as they completely overlooked my order .
But the wait was worthwhile. The traditional japanese rice was well-cooked as compared to the previous Unagi set. It was sticky and firm, and had an alluring aroma. The teriyaki chicken was sweet and crispy, just the way I like it to be! 
8/10 




 
Herbivore Japanese & Western Vegetarian Restaurant
Location:
190 Middle Rd, Fortune Centre, #01-13/14
Contact: 63331612
Opening Hours: Daily 10am-11pm


GOOD NEWS: Herbivore is offering 30% discount from now till end of October!
 Let me digress a little here.

Fresh from the Salon!
Before realising what i was doing, more then half of my hair was gone. =x

okayz, let me end this post with my furry lil best friend!
Tigger staring mid air.
:)
xo

6 comments:

  1. I wish I went when there was a 30% discount! :(

    I was surprised that so many people are negative towards Herbivore. I (like you) overall enjoyed the food from there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Luke!
    Yes, overall a good experience. But I hope they can improve on the unagi set though! :) The promotion just started, go visit again! Anyway, I read from your blog that you just visited Taiwan. I hope to visit there someday too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peach pudding looks so unique! What have they sprinkled on the top?

    Beautiful hair btw! :) Tigger looks so serious haha! Do keep the wonderful posts coming~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comment! :)
    Hmm, I am guessing that you are looking at the mash potato instead? The peach pudding is bright orange, haha. Yes, she looks as though she's deep in thoughts! Let's explore more veg places together nx time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so amazed at how real mock meat looks. Looks like a fab. little vegetarian eatery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there shaheen!

    Yes,the mock meat looks genuine and tastes awesome.
    Indeed a fabulous eatery :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is highly appreciated. Thank you! :)